Tomtom have conducted a study that proves that your chances of getting into an accident are reduced if you are using a gps navigation system. In 2006 TomTom joined forces with Delta Lloyd insurance, AON insurance & risk brokers, and Athlon car leasing to commission an independent research project by TNO, the Netherlandsâ€™ leading research agency.The study is the worldâ€™s first complete, authoritative and independent research into this topic. The study took just over six months to finish, and various research methods were used (user survey, data base analyses, experiment, literature study).
The research shows that the use of navigation systems has a positive effect on traffic safety.
- Drivers who do not use a navigation system make 12% more claims for damage and claim 5% more damage costs
- Using a navigation system increases driver alertness and reduces driver stress
- Using a navigation system improves the driving behavior and performance of the driver when driving in an unfamiliar area and to an unfamiliar destination
- Using a TomTom navigation system reduces the workload on the driver when driving in an unfamiliar area and to an unfamiliar destination
- Using a TomTom navigation system reduces the number of kilometres driven by 16% and the journey time by 18% when driving in an unfamiliar area to an unfamiliar destination.
Excerpt from Tomtom.